Monday, January 16, 2012

First days

January 16 is the first day on the new job. I'm officially a Spartech employee and a Corporate Regional Logistics Manager. My office is in Paulding, OH. My fist day on the job is in Chicago. My boss (remember Johnathan) and I met at O'Hare airport and headed off to the office of our freight management partner.

Yes, from Fort Wayne, IN (only a three hour drive from Chicago) I flew into O'Hare. Johnathan asked if I would be comfortable driving to Chicago and into downtown-downtown, in the heart of the city downtown Chicago. I told him that I would not be comfortable, but I have done it before and I would do it again.

His reply? "No you won't. It's your first day on the job. You're going to be anxious enough. I'm not adding to your anxiety by making you drive into the city. You will fly and we will meet at the airport and take a cab in."

His sincere respect for and caring about other's is only one reason I accepted this job. Me flaying versus driving also made Todd more comfortable. He knows how I get driving in unfamiliar territory.

So, my first three days on the job were spent in Chicago. Days four and five were spent at my office in Paulding. I was welcomed with open arms. The employees are a great big happy family. The spirit of the facility is much like we had at Terex. I think I'm going to like it there.

1 comment: