Tuesday, January 10, 2012

And then Spartech found me!

On October 3, 2011 Terex issued WARN notices to 65% of our workforce. A week or two later I called a gentleman I worked with at Terex (in a Traffic/Logistics capacity). He left the company 18 months ago. I asked if I could use him as a job reference. In turn he told me that he had me in mind for a position he was hoping to create. He filled me in on his plan and asked if I'd be interested. Yes, I was very interested. First of all, the job would be negotiating freight rates and assisting business units from a corporate level. Promotion for Barbara! Secondly, since I worked with Johnathan before I already know him and the uncomfortable phase of boss/employee relationship building is over. I know that he has adult ADD or ADHD. I know that he gets excited very easily when it comes to trucks, trains, planes, and cargo vessels. I know that his family is his number one priority and he wants nothing less than the same for his employees. I also know that he is demanding, precise, loves statistics & spreadsheets, and likes to have fun at work.

I received a call from him the week before Christmas asking if I'd be interested in a phone interview. Within an hour I was having an interview with he and his HR Manager. I received a call between Christmas and New Year asking if I'd be interested in flying to the corporate headquarters in St. Louis the following week. On Tuesday 1/3 I flew to St. Louis. On Wednesday 1/4 I had three face-to-face and two telephone interviews at corporate. (At this point I actually received the job description for the job I flew in to interview for. I only had Johnathan's word up to this point. I could not have composed a more perfect job description for myself!) On Thursday 1/5 I received a phone call from Johnathan offering me the job and en e-mail from HR with an official job offer letter. I signed and returned the acceptance letter on the 6th and on the 9th I received a packet from them via Federal Express. In the packet was a job application. It was then that it hit me.

I was offered and accepted a job for which I never applied.


No comments:

Post a Comment